top of page
  • Writer's pictureMacabre Emporium Pod

Episode 25 - SpongeBob and His Tasty Neighbors


William "Clyde" Gibson

William Clyde Gibson, In prison
William "Clyde" Gibson, Death Row Inmate


William Gibson Jr, who was a foreman for a tree-trimming company, and his wife, Jeraline Gibson, a Sears cashier, had their fourth and last child on October 10th, 1957. They gave birth to William Clyde Gibson on October 10th in Raleigh, North Carolina. The family stayed there until William was two years old and then moved to New Albany, Indiana. This is where William would grow up, and this is where shit would hit the fan.

Childhood Background

William admittedly said that his childhood was great, he was often spoiled, that he never went through any traumatic events, no abuse, no neglect from either parent. - yet he did state his father was a drunk during his childhood, and would at times become rowdy and would argue, but that was it. None of them ever got hit, and definitely nothing worse beyond that.

When William was young, those around him noted that he was a bit odd. He struggled talking to anyone outside of his family, he did poorly in school and really didn’t even want to go to school - he wanted to stay home with his mom. That could be because he was being bullied until he was in the 6th grade. But then he hit a growth spurt, and when he was big enough, he went from being bullied to being the bully. He got in trouble numerous times for fighting other kids, for not following directions, and for interrupting class by talking. This wasn’t just in school though, he was being an ass outside of school. One of his friends, Melodie Schultz, stated that she saw William shoot another kid with a pellet gun, hitting them in the eye. When William was 13, he followed in his dad’s footsteps and started drinking. This would be the year he commits his first crime - he stole a motorcycle, and got arrested.

Shortly after being arrested, William decided he was done with school and dropped out. This is when his life of crime started rising. It was usually smaller crimes, nothing extremely outrageous…yet. One of the bigger incidents that happened was him getting drunk and driving a car which ultimately led to him crashing.

“Smaller” Crimes

Two weeks after crashing, he joined the Army. He was stationed as a mechanic in West Germany and during his deployment, he was awarded badges for hand grenade usage as well as marksmanship. Unfortunately, at this time in his life, he chose to do some experimenting with drugs. And not simple shit like marijuana either, he was trying - and eventually became addicted to - LSD, heroin, and cocaine; all of which he favored with alcohol. Now, in 1979, William was dishonorably discharged from the Army for stealing a car. That seems to be a common theme throughout his life - stealing motor vehicles. Anyways, he was sentenced to a year in prison at Fort Leavenworth (which is a Military Corrections Complex in Leavenworth, Arkansas). While he was incarcerated there, he tried to commit suicide by slitting his wrists. After his year was up, he left and met a woman who would become his wife in June of 1980. She was an artist, and they tried to have a child, but he was diagnosed as having infertility issues, and that angered William. This led William to increase his drug abuse habits. He added marijuana at this point and claimed he would smoke about 20 joints a day. Willy Nelson, Jr, everybody.

On January 26, 1991, William was driving his pickup truck and crashed but chose to speed off fleeing the scene of the accident after spotting a police officer inspecting the other vehicle for damage. This resulted in a high speed chase, where he crashed into yet another vehicle. He wound up injuring the driver of the second car, they sustained 8 broken ribs while William only had a cut on his head that needed stitches.

Eight months after that incident, William was charged with sexual battery and robbery against a 21 year old girl in Louisville, Kentucky. He sexually assaulted her in a phone booth. During the trial for this incident, William’s lawyer said that he was mentally ill and therefore requested a competency evaluation be done on William. The examiner did the evaluation and reported that William had an IQ of 79, and that he refused to take responsibility for what he did - instead, he chose to blame it on his alcoholism. The examiner went on to tell the court that William did NOT suffer from any mental illnesses that would have impaired his judgment. With this stated, William was deemed competent to stand trial. He accepted an Alford Plea (which is the defendant pleading not guilty and claims innocence - but realizes the evidence makes them look guilty beyond a reasonable doubt) and was sentenced to seven years in prison at the Luther Luckett Correctional Facility in La Grange, Kentucky. His wife divorced him after hearing his conviction.

During this prison stay, William was ordered to attend a sex offender rehabilitation program, but due to him not taking responsibility and refusing to admit his crime, he was deemed ineligible for participation. William was called an obedient inmate. He rarely caused trouble. He earned an associate’s degree in art while he was incarcerated. There were numerous psychiatrists that assessed him during his time in prison, and all of them agreed that William had poor judgment and showed signs of conflicting feelings of loneliness and losing control. But even with these diagnostics, and his refusals to complete the sex offenders rehabilitation program, he was deemed unlikely to re-offend. Which led to him being released from prison on April 5th, 1999. He was immediately put on the Indiana Sex and Violent Offenders Registry.

After he was a free man, he met and started dating a woman named Kelly Bailey. They seemed to hit it off really quickly, and their relationship moved quickly. They moved into an apartment together in Borden, Indiana. Being a free man meant William had access to his drugs of choice again. And in 2000, Kelly Baily left William because of his worsening drug habits.

Later on the same year, Kelly filed a police report against William. It stated that she was delivering newspapers and that William had found her and blocked her car with his vehicle before punching her in the face and stealing her car keys and speeding off. She also stated that William had been stalking her, and that this was the last straw for her. Kelly’s case was considered credible because of the injuries sustained to her face; the police didn’t pursue it due to lack of evidence.

In 2001, William was arrested for stealing a Harley-Davidson motorcycle and was sent back to jail for another three years. He spent half of his sentence at the Madison State Hospital in Madison, Indiana. While he was in the hospital, he received treatment for his alcohol and drug addiction. Hospital staff stated that William wasn’t interested in any treatments. Two psychiatrists went on to diagnose him as having bipolar disorder, and he was given a prescription for Seroquel. However, there were still no diagnosis for mental or psychiatric disorders noted. Which is WRONG because bipolar disorder IS a mental illness! But I digress., After he was released from the hospital he went to the Floyd County Jail to finish out his sentence and was released on March 12th in 2002.

*Now, before we move into the real crazy territory - I am going to say that his relationship with his mom was a very close one. She was always there for him, no matter what he did wrong. A real example of unconditional love on her end. Almost to a fault. Each time he went to jail that I’ve already talked about, he would be released and immediately he would be welcomed to live with his mom again with open arms. Every single time, mom was there to take him in. She saw past his fucked up parts and loved him anyways - which most parents would do. But I do not believe she would have done this with the shit that’s about to happen. Her passing away is what most people believe was the precursor to what I will be getting into next - even though this shit started happening way before she ever died, it just didn’t come to light until after.*

The Murders

On October 10th, 2002, in Jeffersonville, IN, Clyde met 33-year-old Karen Hodella, a beautician for Port Orange, FL. She was there visiting with her husband at the time. The two started talking and then left with each other after a confrontation by the husband ensued. They continued going from bar to bar before they found themselves in a parking lot in New Albany, IN. They sat there talking for a while before Karen accused Clyde of stealing prescription medications out of her purse. This of course pissed William off and caused an argument, and that caused Clyde to become violent. Clyde wound up punching Karen in the face. Karen fought back and a struggle ensued. Clyde reached into his pocket and pulled out a pocket knife and began stabbing Karen in the throat numerous times. Clyde did an interview with a podcast called “Where the Bodies are Buried”, and in it, he said, “I had a pretty good idea it was her last night on Earth”. He also stated, while chuckling… ”I hit her right in her jugular vein, just instantly it started squirting blood.” He then admitted to cutting pieces of her body off and eating them before having sex with her dead body. He then drove around for a while with her dead body next to him, before dumping her body in Clarksville, Indiana. Afterward, he went to a tattoo shop and got a tattoo of the date he killed her and a knife to always remember this murder. Sweet little keepsake, huh? Karen’s extremely decayed body was found on January 7th, 2003. She was only identifiable by her thumbprint, which matched up with one in the jail database from a previous arrest. Her case remained unsolved until April of 2012.

3 weeks later William was arrested for drinking and driving. He went through a four-day medical withdrawal. During this time, he often complained of headaches, stomach aches, and insomnia. The prison psychiatrists stated he was suffering from mild anxiety and antisocial behavior but was otherwise fine, and that mentally he was sane.

After his release, he went back to live with his mom and tried to sue the prison authorities. He claimed they denied him access to his Seroquel and housed him in insanely filthy conditions. The suit was thrown out by a judge that considered the lawsuit baseless.

William continued his usual bar-hopping habits. He was at a bar on February 21st, 2006, and wound up stealing a purse and $300 from one of his acquaintances. This woman’s husband was able to track down William’s brown Toyota and William was arrested again for theft where he would spend another 3 years in prison.

After being released on the fourth of July in 2009, he went back to his mom’s house. He found a job at C&C Hardwood Flooring in Borden, Indiana. He was referred to as a diligent worker and got nothing but positive praises from his friends and neighbors for attending a non-denominational church called Power of the Cross. He liked making paper mache crafts and helping his mom, who was sick. On the other side of the token, his bar buddies considered him very strange, some stated that on numerous occasions he would ask women to come back to his house.

Unfortunately, his moms health declined rapidly and she passed away on January 18th in 2012. It’s believed that her death impacted him greatly mentally. William was now totally alone, and living in his dead mom’s house…what more could go wrong?


On March 24, 2012, William met 35-year-old Stephanie Kirk at a bar. He had talked about taking her on a motorcycle ride, so they planned on that. However, they spent the entire day together doing drugs and doing each other. When they went to William’s house, they also got into an argument about stolen pills….do you see a recurring theme here? Anyways, William got pissed and violent yet again. He proceeded to rape Stephanie and then strangle her to death. He sexually assaulted her corpse, and in the process of raping her post-mortem, (which he was doing very roughly), he broke her back. He then drug her body outside and buried her in his backyard.

April 18, 2012, William was visited by 75-year-old Christine Whitis, who was a really good friend of his moms. When his mom was alive, Christine would come over and help out, including helping William by giving him money. William said after Christine’s husband died they started having sex. When she stopped over this day, William was in the middle of dismembering a woman’s body, she had walked in and caught him in the act. William snatched her up and brought her into the house and strangled her before raping her dead body. William made a claim on video stating “I never had sex with her, I just played with her with my hands”. Untrue. He mutilated her corpse. He cut off her right breast with a kitchen knife and put it in his pocket. He then took her body to the garage and left her there surrounded by numerous full garbage bags. William used Christine’s blue Dodge Caravan to go to Hooters afterward. He got super drunk, and while he ate he kept his hand in his pocket and continually played with Christine’s breast. (Queue Alanis Morisette’s “Hand In My Pocket” - I’ve got one hand in my pocket, tweaking a dead girls nipple). He also invited a guy to his house afterwards and they went back to his house and continued drinking whiskey while Christine’s body was laying lifeless in the garage.

On April 19th, 2012, William’s sisters, Brenda Ray, and Theresa Adam, came by to get the mileage off of their mom’s car for an attorney and to talk to William about selling their moms home/estate. They noticed the house was in disarray and that William was not home so they began to look around. Brenda Ray went out to the garage and that is when Christine’s body was found. In an interview done for Courier Journal in Indianapolis, Theresa Adam heard Brena yell “Oh my God, is this real?” Brenda Ray thought that Christine’s dead body was a blow up doll, or a weird paper mache project done by her brother. In the interview, Brenda Ray noted that she realized it was a woman when she saw the pool of blood around her, and added that the legs were bent in an unnatural position. It was then that the sisters called 9-1-1 in a panic, and they set out to look for William.

On April 20th, 2012, Police noticed a car driving erratically and pulled it over for a suspected DUI. The car pulled into a Wal-Mart parking lot. Police found the driver to be none other than William. The lead detective noted that when he walked up, William was messing with something in the center console. He thought it may have been a weapon. When they got a drunken William out of the car, they had to tussle with him in order to get him calm enough to be handcuffed and his face was all busted up from it hitting the pavement. A police officer checked the center console expecting to find the suspected weapon, only to find Christine’s breast. He was then arrested and hauled off to jail.

The Trial, The Sentencing, and the Aftermath

On April 25th, 2012 William was charged with the murder of Christine. That’s all they knew about at that point. While he was in jail, he chose to confess to the murder of Karen and was then allowed to lead officers to his backyard and point out where Karen was buried. Two days later on April 27th, Karen’s body was exhumed from the ground.

On May 23rd, 2012, William was officially charged with the murders of all 3 women. Prosecutors came out stating he would be getting the death penalty for all 3 murders. Prosecutors introduced the recording of his interview with detectives where he states that an evil overcame him and made him commit the crimes.

On October 25th, 2013, William was found guilty in the first case. It took the jurors less than 20 minutes to reach the verdict. A month later at his sentencing, he was told he was getting the death penalty and he said basically “No big deal, I deserve it”. So he went and got himself a prison tattoo on the back of his head that reads “Death Row X3”

End of 2014 - all 3 cases were closed. He received the death penalty for all of them.

Since sentencing, William has appealed his death sentences, and all the appeals were rejected.

In 2018, William was one of several inmates featured in a documentary called “Inside Death Row”. He has been on multiple podcasts and stated there are 30 other women through multiple states that he had killed and raped and even ate some of their bodies...and has mentioned that they tasted funny and that he is “a sick motherfucker”.

Podcast - Where the Bodies Are Buried



The Lobster Wars

Lobster War battle ships
Fleet of warships heading to battle

Even though Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the United States and the unofficial start to summer here as well, so for the month of May I have had a few war stories you could say saved up, and of course, the one story I have been hinting at for a few weeks now.

A few weeks ago, I brought you the story of the great dumpling war of Bravia where Helmut Winter, a graphic artist from Munich waged war on Germany and the USA to fly their planes higher. Well, what if I told you I might have found something more bonkers of a war that lasted three years over a crustacean scientifically known as Homarus Gammarus or simply known as Lobsters.

The Lobster War, better known as Guerra da Lagost by the Portuguese and Conflit de la Langouste by the French, was a dispute over French fishing vessels catching spiny lobsters or Rock Lobsters, 100 miles from Brazil’s Northern Coastline.

Spiny Lobsters or Rock Lobsters are commonly known as well and what I will refer to them as because ya know it was the B-52’s first hit song, but as for the crustacean can grow up to 30-40cm (11- 15 inches) as adults and rarely up to 60cm (23 inches). They can be found in almost all warm sea climates such as the Caribbean and Mediterranean seas but are very common in areas known as Australasia, a region between New Zealand and Australia, and are referred to as crayfish in this region. Rock Lobsters have a sweeter taste than their famous cousins Maine lobster and are typically 25 percent larger as well.

In 1961, the Brazilian Government issued a research permit to three French ships to study the lobsters off the coastline of the Brazilian state of Pernambuco. Seems harmless but in reality, the French were trolling for lobsters along with a fourth ship. When Brazil found this out they rescinded their permits to the French and ordered them to leave in April of 1961. The French would return in November of the same year but further out on the continental shelf outside of Brazilian waters. Interactions between the fishermen of the two countries would remain like this until January 2, 1962, when Brazil seized a French fishing boat for not having a permit for fishing lobster.

Fishing rights were commonly disputed during this time, Brazil would claim that the lobsters off their coastline are important to their economy and had the right to regulate and harvest them whereas the French claimed they were in the right to fish there as they weren’t in territorial waters and on the high seas. The law that actually determined these areas wouldn’t be internationally established until 1982.

How this is established now is that the baseline territorial seas are 12 nautical miles (746 feet longer than a land mile of 5,280 feet) from their coastline from fixed points known as baselines. 200 nautical miles out from the established baseline is an exclusive economic zone that generally contains the continental shelf. Anything beyond those 200 nautical miles is considered the high seas. The continental shelf by definition:

The area of the seabed around a large landmass where the sea is relatively shallow compared with the open ocean. The CS is generally a flat area that is great for setting up oil rigs and fishing for lobster and other tasty neighbors of SpongeBob.

During their negotiations between Brazil and France they would debate on if lobsters were part of the continental shelf or not. Brazil would claim that they are part of the CS since lobsters tend to travel by using their legs.

The French would counter this argument that lobsters should be considered fish as they only move on the seafloor by walking and jumping but when they jump, they are swimming and part of the ocean, which makes them fish. Making them free of regulation from Brazil. Navy Officer Paulo de Castro Moreira (more raid ah) da Silva, Brazil's Oceanography expert, would state during these arguments “By analogy, if a lobster is a fish because it leaps, then a kangaroo is a bird.”

Even during these debates, French fishermen would return to the waters of the coast of Pernambuco, Brazil still sighting for lobster. Like before these boats would be seized and the captains were ordered to sign statements that would not return after being released.

In 1963, France would send diplomats to secure fishing rights off the coast. It was reported by the diplomats that more fishing boats were heading to Brazil at the time of negotiations and Brazilians would request that they be turned away and not be given permission to fish during their negotiations.

It's most likely Brazil wasn't going to give to France to fish whether or not when they were in negotiations after, Time magazine would find that the French were catching 3 million (29.7 million) dollars' worth of exports.

Brazilian President Joao Goulart would issue a presidential order that would allow three fishing boats from France permission to fish after they were released. My guess is this was kind of like a good gesture during negotiations with France. The people of Brazil were furious with this decision and by February of 1963, President Goulart would give them an ultimatum that all French fishing boats leave Brazilian waters and the CS in 48 hours.

This wouldn’t sit well with the French president Charles de Gaulle who would order a Navy destroyer to move in and protect the fishing boats on Feb 21st. The Foreign Minister of Brazil, Hermes Lima, stated “This is an act of hostility, and our government will not retreat and the lobster will not be caught.”

The main concern for Brazil wasn't this one destroyer that was being sent to protect the boats but more where it came from. This destroyer was dispatched from a fleet that was already on a mission off the coast of Africa, and at the head of this fleet was the aircraft carrier Clemenceau. The Clemenceau had with her one cruiser and seven other destroyers as an escort. And we're only three days away from their current position off the African coast. With their short distance away from ships of their sizes, Brazil would decide the best course of action was to mobilize its Navy and Airforce. The only problem is this decision came on the eve of Carnival. With this sudden mobilization, they would call this movement of troops “scheduled exercises” in case any questions were raised.

Brazil would dispatch two task forces one to the Northeast composed of 2 cruisers, 6 destroyers, a submarine, and an aircraft carrier. Even with more guns in the water off the coast Brazil ran into multiple problems for this possible Lobster War.

  1. Since the Brazilian Navy didn't have its own tankers for fuel they would lease one from the oil company Petrobras.

  2. Some of the warships were in poor condition as their entire navy was composed of vintage warships from WW2 bought from the United States except the aircraft carrier they purchased from the British Royal Navy

  3. Their cruisers would have boiler issues where one need repairs that would take 15 days to complete and the other half of the boilers were only operational.

  4. One of these cruisers wouldn't have ammunition for its main guns along with one inoperable turret and two having to be manually controlled by sailors. Along with 4 its six radars used for firing were also not operable.

  5. They would only have enough ammunition for 30 minutes in battle and the depots only were stocked with ammunition for 20 mm guns.

  6. Their aircraft carrier was only set for helicopter operations and didn't have any fixed-wing aircraft.

  7. The Brazilian Air Force was mostly only capable of recon and not actual fighting.

Whereas the French warships were more modern where the aircraft carrier sitting off the French coast was commissioned in 1960 along with a destroyer commissioned in 1958.

On February 26th, the Brazilian air force would discover the location of the Destroyer Tartu sent by the French to protect the fishing boat and photograph it the next day using a b17 flying fortress and would continuously report back to its location until the Brazilian destroyer Parana would reach Tartu and shadow her until she steams back to Africa on March 2nd. To Brazil’s surprise thinking that this conflict might be over well it's not. Tartu was replaced with the smaller warship Paul Goffeny.

The Brazilian Navy would send more ships as reinforcements as the Paul Goffeny appeared in its waters, by March 10th the Paul Goffeny and 4 fishing boats would leave Brazil and return to Africa. After confirmation of the French dispatching the area, Brazil would demobilize its navy and return to peacetime operations.

The end of the Lobster War could be said when Brazil gives the French authorization for 26 ships and boats to fish for lobsters in Brazilian waters for 5 years and stipulate, they would have to give a portion of their profits to Brazilian fishermen in the areas they fished.

It could be said that Brazil won the lobster war due to them extending their territorial waters 200 nautical miles out whereas they are typically only 12 nautical miles.

Fun Facts

Rock Lobsters can live up to 20 years old

They defend themselves from predators by rubbing their antennae along the smooth part of their exoskeleton to make a screeching sound.

Lobsters can swim forward and backward using their tail.

They are social animals and healthier lobsters will move away from infected lobsters leaving them to fend for themselves.

They can detect Earth’s magnetic field and use this for navigation. They will also migrate in large groups single file up to 50 lobsters in one group.

The world's largest lobster was caught off the coast of Nova Scotia in 1977 and weighed 44 pounds and 6 ounces.

The world’s oldest lobster even though not a rock lobster was named George and was estimated to be 154 years old first caught in 1869 and released to the wild in 2008 and released back to the wild 10 days later by members of PETA in Kennebunkport, Maine in an area where lobster fishing is forbidden., so they actually did something positive for once. George’s weight was determined by estimating 1 pound of growth every seven to 10 years.

2 views0 comments


bottom of page